Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Amherst Winter Workshop I
I finally was able to look at the music we played during the early morning class, led by Eric Haas. The class dealt with English Fantasias, and we played several---although one of the composers, Ferrabosco II, wasn't English. Oh well. It was gorgeous music, with every part weaving in and out of the others. During each of the three classes, we practiced one or two pieces, because the rhythms and polyphony were hard to get. And I don't think we really nailed the pieces, except for the last one we tried, which was by William Byrd, and it was stunning: a psalm for six voices called "Unto the hills mine eyes I lift." (AATTBB). You can find the score here:


Unto the hills mine eyes I lift

More to follow...

That's me (Steffi) on the left, and 
Eric Haas on the right, with other 
members of the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment